Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Poem #1"The Laughing Heart"

Questions:

1. From what poem/author does this commercial borrow (without credit)?
2. Why might the use of this poem by a corporation be considered ironic?
3. Does the poem reflect the reputation of the author? Why/why not?
4. How did you find the answers to #1 & #3? Describe your research process and your sources in detail.



Answers: 

1. The poem that was used in the Levis commercial was "The Laughing Heart" by Charles Bukowski. 
2. The ironic these to things is that Levis is trying to use deep message to sell their product while Bukowski's poem is telling you that your life is your life. Don't let anyone tell you what to do, think, or say. To truly be yourself and if you are feeling constricted that there is always a way out and showing everyone who you really are.
3. I find that the poem does reflect Bukowski very well. He didn't have the greatest life but with in his writing he always seems to find way to surpass a difficult situation or make the best out of something that me not be so great.
4. I found answer #1 in my memory since I actually know this poem. I found answer number three by searching the name of the poem on Google and then it showed me on the side of the screen that it was written by Charles Bukowski. Once I found out the author I searched him and I clicked on this website that had a quick description of his life and his work which gave me a good sense on how he was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment